Friday, March 30, 2007

Question #4

Do you feel that you have much impact on the lives of people you come in contact with, excluding family? Who, if anyone, significantly influenced your life?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elder Tapia

I met him in the MTC, served next to him during my mission, and was his companion at the end. He was the best example I have ever met of being taught by the spirit (rather than a book) and was able to communicate with everyone because he could express his love for them the minute he saw them. It kind of ended up that Elder Tapia would do all the work, and I would just supply the scripture references for what he said. He helped break down my 'type A', formal, 'bridled passions', sterile personality.

Teresa said...

I have thought a little about this, and the people that I hope and pray the most that I have an impact on(excluding family) are our Primary children. I hope all 12 of them really grasp what I am teaching them and let it get into their hearts.
As far as someone impacting me, I had some names I could list when I was a teenager, but not many since then. Most people that come in to my life impact it in some way be it small or great, and be it good or bad. I find myself thinking about other peoples behavior a lot and whether I would like to be more like them or avoid their behavior in myself. I learn a lot from others.

laura said...

Like Teresa- the lives I want to impact the most(minus kids) would be those I serve- the Young Woman. And particularly my Beehives. I think daily about the decisions they are making and will be making in the years to come. I truley do love them and want them to choose the right. As far as an impact on me- hhmmmm- Lots of people. The name that comes to mind right now is Laurel. She has been my best friend since I was 12. All the qualities that I struggle with- she is very good with. She is an example to me and has a daily impact on me. I have noticed a pattern with myself. I always chose Best Friends (and even my husband) who have qualities that I admire so much, but do not come naturally to me. I guess I'm hoping that if I'm around them enough, they might eventually rub off on me.

laura said...

Oh, one more thing... If you don't have something nice to say- say nothing at all. I believe the opposite is true also. If you have something nice to say- say it. Although I see Laurel almost daily, I will be sending her a card this week with my appreciation for the influence she has been on me. Just thought you might want to do that too. I just can't help thinking how much that would mean to say, Elder Tapia, to get a surprise in his mailbox.

Roger said...

It is very interesting that all of us feel like we have had the most impact on the lives of people we have served in our church callings. I think we all have helped many people and we don't know it. In the church, many times we can see the fruits of our labors. I think that I influenced the lives of many YMYW as I served in YMYW and as a Bishop.
This understanding of how the church helps people through the actions of regular people like us, is another evidence of the hand of the Lord in the true church of Jesus Christ.
One of the people who significantly influenced my life was Richard Williams, my 3rd missionary companion. He taught me what a representative of Jesus Christ should do. He blended his natural intelligence, his great speaking skills, his diligence and his strong testimony into a missionary who always impressed me as he taught. He now serves as a Stake President in Orem and he continues to serve as an assistant to the President of BYU.
An interesting side note is that in the mission field, the most responsible calling he had was as a DL. I have always found it very interesting that someone with his natural talents and testimony did not have a greater sphere of influence as a missionary.