Okay, now that I successfully posted the last idea, I have a new thought.
Terri was telling me that Sean totaled his truck on the road to their house by losing control on the turns. As Don went to see who had wrecked, they had heard it, and what he could do to help, Sean was walking up the street toward home. He was totally unhurt and fine; the truck was totaled. Sean was not even sore the next day.
Terri said she really believed the Lord was blessing him, possibly for something that he will accomplish in his future. As I thought about it, I thought it is more likely that the Lord was blessing Terri. She is the one who is righteous, prays, works in the temple. My feeling is that it is her blessing to not have to suffer the injury or death of one of her children at this time.
As we discussed it, both could be possibilities. I was discussing it with people in our ward who have inactive adult children. They said why think the Lord was involved? If we assign Him the blessing, would we also have assigned him the problem if Sean had been hurt?
I feel like the Lord has a lot to do with our lives in large and very small ways. We will be surprised to see what He had His hand in when we know everything. I still feel like it was Terri's blessing. Not that she doesn't have to suffer, nor that any of us do, but that this was not her trial at this time.
What do you think?
I was reading this months Ensign. Two things stood out. On page 16 it refers to Prayer in the Bible Dictionary. It says that "the object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is willing to grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for them." I thought that was great. He is just waiting to help.
I also thought the article by Elder Bruce Hafen on page 25 was one of the best on marraige that I have ever read. Probably because I relate to the story in the first three paragraphs.
I feel like Dad with this serious post. I must be learning from him. At least I am not telling you which comics to read. I appreciate being able to share my thoughts with you.
Christmas 2014
11 years ago
1 comment:
Had to chime in on this one. I agree with Tudi in that Sean's protection could have been for his benefit or mine, or maybe Tami's or Kimbers, but I absolutely believe it was an answer to prayer. Tami got in an accident(0% fault) 5 days later. If she had been driving her normal car, it would have been totaled, air bags deployed and she could have been hurt or worse. But since Sean had her normal car, she had Don's lifted Rubicon and was totally unhurt and drove the car home.
I do believe that our faith and prayers can influence the lives of others. I also believe that the Lord directs our lives in ways seen and unseen. I give abundant thanks for blessings I see. Ingratitude was specifically addressed by Christ. I also try to give thanks and find the good when things don't go the way I would have chosen. I guess I've lived enough years and had enough gut wrenching challenges that in hindsight turned out to be enormous blessings, that I have finally learned to trust the Lord in all things, even those I don't understand at the moment. What peace that brings.
I also know that you do have to ask. Look at the blind man sitting by the side of the road. Jesus asked him what he wanted. He had to ask. Partly as a function of faith and free agency. I am grateful that there is a God who knows what's over the next hill and prepares me, even if I don't understand at the moment. He does want to bless us - we just have to allow it.
Thanks for letting my ramble.
Love, Terri
Post a Comment