Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Krista's Request

Krista asked that I post this blog for your responses. Hopefully, this will prompt more response than my 10/6/06 request.
First though, Katy and Tyler Nichols are the proud parents of Lucy Ann. She weighed 6lbs 10 oz. and was 181/2 inches long. Everyone is doing well. Russ is a proud grandpa. I can email you a picture if you want. She is a beautiful baby.

Second, I told T&K that I would buy them a cell phone if they got nothing lower than a "B" on their report cards. (We are trying everything to motivate them.) We have talked about getting them cell phones for safety and our convenience when we need to track them down. I told Krista, who was motivated, that the rest of you would not think that it was fair that she get a cell phone when no one else was given rewards for grades. I told her, and all of you, that your grades were your reward and would give you greater opportunities.

So, do you think my bribe was fair?

7 comments:

Teresa said...

Is it fair? Probably not, but what is fair in life? Steve says our family weighs things too heavily on fairness. I agree that each circumstance should be looked at differently according to the times, the person, the situation, etc. If you think they need a cell phone and Krista is doing well in school I say Go For It! It is not as if the way they live the rest of their lives could even be close to fair compared to the older girls. Oh well, I am happy with who I am, so it doesn't bother me.

Jessica said...

Why are we even discussing this? Are they actually going to get good enough grades to make it an issue? I say, until Tawna and Krista step it up, this is a moot point.

Sarah A said...

I guess I'm kind of with Jessica. I don't think that bribes really work. (Sarah gives the example of people in her stake that were offered CABINS if they wen't on a mission...no mission). And even then, B's don't cut it. They're nice, but if they want to do anything more than make "honor roll" and go to BC, they'll need more in A category (learned from a humiliating time during law school apps).

To use Dad's numbered lists:
1. The bribe isn't fair, but who cares.
2. No reall evidence that the bribe will cut it.
3. Even if the bribe gets B's, how does that really make any difference? (the academic part of life is mean to people that don't get A's)

Alicia said...

I think it is a fair bribe in that it gives them motivation to do better in school and also helps you out. You can know where they are and call them to tell them to get home to do their homework so that they can get B's. Give them a phone. Krista can tell you all kinds of ways that how we were raised was so much better than them and it just isn't fair!

Bryce said...

if you want you can always make it fair by rewarding your most successful academic children, but honestly I see no problem with them getting a cell phone, I would think that along with mediocre grades they might need to pay something for the plan, extra charges are a given, but I think they could handle $15 bucks a month for each of them, and then all you have is like $10, so go for it.

Sarah A said...

Second Comment. Sorry.

First, we were given rewards. If I remember right, we went to Teddy Bear Yogurt when grades came out...and if that wasn't a motivation, I don't know what could have been.

Second, when your child-rearing spans 3 decades, "fair" does not mean "the same". I was half-way down the line and our TV didn't have a remote, the computer screen was black and green, and our pool was disposable every fall.
Most kids have cell phones now, when no one did a few years ago. So give them a cell phone because they are part of the 21st century. The bribe does nothing anyway.

Scott B. said...

I think if a bribe is needed...DO IT!