Monday, June 29, 2009

Coventry, England

My Rotary Club paid for Sue and I to attend the Rotary International Convention in Birmingham, England, since I am the in-coming president of our club. We stayed in Conventry, which is a suburb about 15 miles away. Our hotel was in a very rural area. It was a nice place but the bed was very uncomfortable until Sue put the duvet (a soft quilt) under us and the bottom sheet on top.



I wasn't going to pay $20 every time we wanted to go somewhere, so we took the bus all over. This is the stop closest to our hotel, about 3/4 of a mile away.





This is Sue and the Lady Godiva statue in Coventry, where she rode through the streets naked to protest taxation by her husband. I don't think the concept will be making a comeback.
We spent some time downtown to buy food and a white shirt for me. I forgot mine. We visited the Coventry Cathedral which was bombed in WWII. We also ate a "carvery" which is the typical English restaraunt. It was meats and vegetables. We also had Yorkshire Pudding, which is pancake dough baked in a muffin tin. Then you fill it with meat and peas and lots of gravy.





Don't be surprised if you see this hairdo on Sue. She had me take the photo for hair styling reference.

No comments: