Monday, July 24, 2006

Upstate New York




So this weekend me and four other people jumped in a rental car and LEFT MANHATTAN. For those who have never lived in NYC, this is kind of a big deal. You can go years without every leaving Manhattan just becuase it is so difficult. We left at 5 a.m. and drove to Palmyra, NY. Where it all began......
It was lightly drizzling the whole day in Palmyra but although I have lived on the East Coast for almost a year now I was amazed at how green it was. Central Park's got nothing on the rest of the state. Turns out New York knows how to grow trees. We saw everything, the Hill Cumorah, the Sacred Grove, the printing press where the first 5,000 copies of the Book of Mormon was printed, the original manuscripts with Oliver Cowdery's handwriting, the Smith log home where all eleven of the Smith's lived in a space the size of Mom and Dad's bedroom, the Whitmer farm where the church was first organized and most importantly......The PAGEANT. The pageant was excellent. I went expecting the same type of thing as the Manti temple pageant. It was nothing like that. This pageant was really well done. I LOVED IT! I loved wandering around the sacred grove. You can see the angel moroni statue on top of the Palmyra Temple peeking out over the trees from the sacred grove. It is beautiful. I just kept thinking, what was Joseph Smith thinking as he walked out of that sacred grove. Did he have any concept of how important that experience would become to so many billions of people? I was struck by the simplicity of his lifestyle and overcome with gratitude for his courage. It was a fabulous experience.

6 comments:

Teresa said...

That is so awesome Jess. I would love to relive that weekend with you. I am so glad you put up a post on it!

laura said...

Wow. That grove of trees looks just like the one on the picture I use in my Sunday school class. It is beautiful there. I can't wait to do that trip some day. What a great experience.

Alicia said...

Jessica - Sounds wonderful to be there. Especially to celebrate Pioneer Day. I loved my trips to Palmyra. It's beautiful and so neat to think of all that happened there. Hopefully you were not camping in the middle of the fair grounds like us.
By the way, the picture of you in the light blue coat is GORGEOUS!!! You look beautiful. If you ever sign on to LDS Singles, you have your picture.

Roger said...

The pictures and narrative were wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
Please let us know how LDS Singles works out too.

Scott B. said...

Jessica-

I signed you up on LDS Singles.com. Your user name is Catholicgirl and your password is password. Enjoy!

Jessica said...

Scott,
I certainly appreciate you flinging me in to the LDS singles scene but I think I can find all the LDS freaks, geeks, weirdos and fruits here in NYC all on my own.