Wednesday, September 13, 2006

9-11

This is the other blog that I wrote and lost.

As I was reflecting on 9-11, I remembered that Jessica was in the MTC and didn't know what was going on. So, today, in NYC was her first experience with the raw emotion that that day produced. How interesting to see it for the first time 5 years later.

I also remembered that Landon, at age 19, was home alone with Bryce, Evan, Tawna and Krista, who was only 9 years old. I am so grateful for how he handled things and for his maturity and his ability to make good decisions in the face of what was a very uncertain and scary day. Thank you, Landon

And I remembered Steve, who left Teresa and Steven at 4 months to go to Georgia and serve our country. Thank you.

I remember wandering around a deserted Washington D.C. all day. The mall was closed. Restaurants were closed. Cell phones didn't work. Flights out were canceled and cars were unavailable. The line to give blood was so long that they closed the line. We were grateful that our family was in the west.

I am grateful to live in this country, and for a president who is not afraid to mention God numerous times in his 17 minute talk last night. I am grateful for those who fight for freedom around the world. I am grateful for the Lord's hand in our lives and in the life of our county. I am grateful for each of you and your contribution to the great American lifestyle.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Actually I was in NYC last year on September 11. I rode Jet blue here on the 10th and watched a 9.11 special all night long. That was the first time that I ever saw most of the footage, then I rode in the shuttle with a firefighter who helped at ground zero who talked to me all about it. Then I went to Ground Zero the next day. Last year was the year I really dealt with it all. This year I dealt with making chocolate truffles.