Monday, September 11, 2006

My Candle on the Water

So in honor of Hurricane Ernesto some girls in my ward and and other wards jumped in a rental car and headed for Maine, in search of good times, lighthouses and lobster. We saw the Portland Head Lighthouse which is one of the most famous lighthouses in the world. We took a boat tour just to throw one back at old Ernesto, but Ernesto almost capsized the boat with huge waves. The intense wind did make for some great kite flying weather as you can see in the second photo.






We met a couple at the NASTY hotel we were staying at from El Dorado, Arkansas. They were pretty standoffish of the New Yorkers (you know, us being northerners and all) until I told them that I lived in El Dorado when I was little. We bacame fast best friends and I even picked up their accent. They claimed i was "getting it back." Whatever gets them to save me the good muffin at the continental breakfast, that is my motto. They introduced me to their son, the preacher, "she is from El Dorado." It was fabulous to be Southern for a day or two. I figure my southern roots can fluctuate just like my Mexican roots. You know, at my convenience and when it will help me get what I want.

So , I had an interesting conversation with Bryce yesterday in which he explained to me that the problem with girls is that all the "good ones" get married young. I stayed quiet for a moment as much because I didn't know what to say as because I wanted to see where he was going with this. He proceeded to explain that all the girls that are worth the time to date and get to know get married before they turn 22. I hinted that perhaps this particular complaint was being presented to the wrong audience. His response: "Oh yeah." So here is the candle on the water that I found for myself. He is the strong silent type, which, as it turns out, works well for me. Okay I will share more of Maine tomorrow.

4 comments:

Teresa said...

That sounds so awesome. For some unknown reason I have always wanted to go to Maine. Maybe we can go when I come visit you. :)

Sarah A said...

Bravo! Bravo! Wonderful post. I think you got an outloud laugh from Sarah and I (seperately, she reads faster) with your conversation with Bryce. Thanks for the pics. And the problem of no internet at home is duly noted. Thanks for posting.

Roger said...

It seems Jessica has found her man. At least he won't argue with her opinions. The pic reminded me of our visit to SanFran. There was a pirate store that had a T-Shirt with a pirate and said, "Give Up Your Booty." Your mom counseled me against the purchase. So, I bought a Toby Keith cowboy hat instead to protect my bald head.

Alicia said...

I love Maine! I am so excited that you got to go there. Mine and Scott's favorite spot is Acadia National Park in Maine (which surprisingly looks a lot like the San Juan islands off of Washington's coast as we just found out on Friday). We plan to open a bed and breakfast there when he retires.

I have a whole lot to say about Bryce's comment on young girls getting married, but should probably hold my tongue like you did. But, really , give me a freaking break!