Friday, September 29, 2006

Remember Labor Day?

So now back to me! There has NOT been a fair with livestock here in NYC but everyday is like a circus in the subways and I often feel like we are cattle, herded in and out of subway cars and up and down stairs in large silent masses with the occasional "moo." Only the "moo" is from some psycho who smells like a walking piece of poo. I will include pictures of subway adventures as soon as I work up the nerve to take them.

In the meantime I wanted you all to see more of my Labor Day trip to Maine.

While sitting in our hole of a hotel room on Sunday a mouse ran across my foot and then went in a bag and scatched around, so we decided to head for the Ben and Jerry's Factory in Vermont.

Hurricane Ernesto was giving Maine a pounding anyways.

So we headed through New Hamshire and on to lovely Vermont. We decided to stop off on the way to Ben & Jerry's at Joseph Smith's birthplace in Sharon. That place is absolutely charming. We listened to a Senior Elder rattle on about Joseph Smith for like an hour and a half.

It was interesting to go to Sharon only a month after going to Palmyra and note how very involved the Lord was in the lives of all of Joseph's family members to make it possible for him to be in Palmyra and physically able to hike up the hill Cumorah and carry around heavy plates.
This is the monument dedicated to him on his 100th birthday. It is a polished shaft 38 and a half feet high. One foot for every year of his life and a polished shaft because Joseph Smith once said “I am like a huge, rough stone rolling down from a high mountain; … knocking off a corner here and a corner there. Thus I will become a smooth and polished shaft in the quiver of the Almighty.”

After Sharon we went on to Ben and Jerry's. We were really hyped up about it and had driven like 6 hours. It was cool but not as cool as a six hour trip should have been. We got free samples and saw how they make ice cream. My favorite part was the view. Vermont is just beautiful. I am not sure I would love it as much in the winter but our weekend there was magnificent. This is me up by the ice cream graveyard where they have tombstones to all the icecream flavors that just didn't work out.

4 comments:

Sue said...

Great trip. I love the pictures, especially the one of the Joseph Smith Memorial. Plus, I like the story. I didn't know that it was there. I would love to go there, it is SO green! Great pictures of you.

Roger said...

Your pictures of the NYC subways was a lot greener and less crowded than I expected.

Alicia said...

Jess, you are seriously killing me. Slowly. I am missing New England something awful right now. There is nothing so beautiful or charming or wonderful as a trip like yours through Maine and Vermont and New Hampshire. Especially this time of year! I am so glad you get to experience it all. I can't wait to see the pictures from your trip to Boston, although I am sure there will be tears as I look at them. I'm glad for you though.

P.S. I think I'm going to talk to Scott right now about transfering to New Hampshire. Please Scott!

laura said...

I'm curious- what were some of the ice cream flavors??